These fragrant spiced scones from Bryony Owen of Bryony’s Bakes are the perfect accompaniment to afternoon tea for one or a full-blown tea party. Deliciously buttery and made with our Vanilla Chai tea, they’re a mouthwatering way to celebrate your love for chai and baked goods.
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
2 ½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
12 tbsp. cold butter, cut into cubes
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. vanilla chai
2 tbsp. brewed vanilla chai
1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp. heavy cream
• Preheat oven to 400°F.
• Place your milk and vanilla chai in a small saucepan. Heat until just before it starts boiling, then remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain the milk into a cup and place in the fridge until cold.
• Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
• Cut in the butter until the butter is in pea-size pieces.
• Whisk together your egg, vanilla extract, and chai milk. Add to the flour mixture and stir to create a dough.
• Turn out onto a floured countertop and knead for about 30 seconds. Pat dough into a circle and cut into 12 triangles. Bake for 15 minutes.
• While scones are cooling, make the glaze by brewing a cup of vanilla chai. Pour 2 tbsp. of the tea into a bowl and combine with the powdered sugar and heavy cream to make a glaze.
• Once cool, drizzle the vanilla chai glaze over the top of each scone.
Born in England and based in Portland, OR, Bryony Owen brings a playful sensibility to everything she bakes. From decadent chocolate lava cake to Irish Coffee macarons, her recipes combine classic desserts with complex flavors and look as beautiful as they taste.